Saturday, August 30, 2008

H & M: How & Must-You?



I adore Roberto Cavalli. Beyond his design it's his philosophy of fashion I follow. He insists woman have quality tailored pieces -- his mother was a tailor -- that they embrace sophistication and eclectic design simultaneoulsly. He is about self-expression. An amazing quote: "In the '80s, designers started to make unisex fashion. They tried to make the man and the woman the same. I think this is the most disastrous thing in the world." Something I'm tracking as disastorous, as well, is the new H&M line he is creating. I believe in accessibility to good design. However, design starts at its core with good tailoring. How does this come from H&M? With mass-production and financial margains, blah, blah, blah, is it possible to produce something wonderful? I don't think so. I feel we need to preserve the integrity of our brands. Cavalli and others before him -- Mizrahi, Rowley, et al. are not mass brands. The essence of their beauty lies in quality fabrics, beautiful seam lines. Stop the madness with the massification of high fashion. It's killing our icons.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Loading...