Friday, June 27, 2008

Sunglasses at Night




Not that this is a new trend, by any means, it's just a classic trend. My first job in the industry was working at a boutique PR firm, Ted, Inc. led by fashion event impresario Ted Kruckel pictured here to the immediate left. Ted always wore his sunglasses either covering his eyes or on his head, but they were a fixture. My best Ted memory was watching him walk at night after work toward Seventh Avenue with his shades on, blocking the moon (?), and tossing the glass of champagne in his hand into the garbage as he flagged down a cab. Ah, yes, fashion scene, New York. Perfect.
And how can I talk about the power of sunglasses, without mentioning Mr. Dark Eyes himself, Karl Lagerfeld. I'm not certain what iconic accessory I like more from this man -- the shades or the fingerless gloves, but my God, thank you, Karl, for creating this image. Whenever I'm not certain if shades are needed, whether there are dark clouds in the sky or I'm afraid of crushing my Oliver Peoples in my bag, I think of Karl and his omnipresent shades. Yes, I think I'll wear them tonight.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Loading...